Sunday, March 28, 2010

Shrederorphious!

I finally finished the wooden tall bike! This bike has been an ongoing project over the past four months and it feels really good to actually be able to cruse the streets with it. I call it Shrederorphious.

Jordan mastered it within minuets.
The purpose of this bike is to add a positive and unexpected element to the world. It challenges the normality within the average person's life and triggers a sort of contagious hilarity and inspires all to break out of a state of apathy. John Maizeles in his book Raw Creation states “What happens when radically different forms of art are introduced to unprepared audiences is that the reflexes of the orthodox appreciation seizes up and becomes inoperative”. It is this type of unprepared reaction that the art bike brings out in the viewer. My half hour ride to school is filled with surprised and excited expressions, the odd “sweet bike!”, and a thumbs up. This bike is my way of creating something unexpected and unique in the lives of the people that I pass by. Our North American culture needs more rolling art, painted cars, and transformed bikes. Our lives have become defined by what we can buy, not by what we can make. Most people are afraid to do something different, to step out from the consumer crowd. I hope that my bike will inspire people to see the world from a new perspective, to eccentrify themselves and the world around them. This bike is my rolling rebellion, and I can only hope that others will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment